Monday, June 9, 2014

Bee asab tarin maghazedar dar iran

1:16 AM


I developed a serious liking for this Iranian fruit snack, and sampled many flavours and types during my trip.

Lavashak is made by cooking, then pulping fruit - either just one type or as a mix of fruits. The puree is then spread thinly on greased trays, and left to cool then set.

My first Lavashak hit was a commercially produced 7 fruits variety, which had me hooked, with its contrast of sweet and slightly sour taste. 

Majid had bought this packet from a roadside stall on the Rasht - Qazvin road. We spent the rest of the journey tearing off strips of the dark red fruit paste and chewing happily. During my trip, we bought more packets to eat while driving along
In Masuleh, I was pleased to find a man selling tubs of home made lavashak, he offered me a piece to try. This was even better - it was more moist than the commercial variety. 
I managed to limit myself to just one tub!

On my last night in Iran, my guide (Majid 2) had invited me to eat with his family, I left with a sheet of homemade lavashak, that one of their friends made! This was quite a bit tougher, but it lasted longer .

I was hoping to stock up with packets of Lavashak at the airport, to take home for presents for friends - OK, for myself!!!! Sadly, I didn't see any. 

Think I'm going to have to find a stockist on t'internet to keep me going 'til I visit Iran again!

 

© 2014 Omid. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top